Monday, October 20, 2014

Renovations...Sanding the floor

Once the house was painted we could finally, finally sand and polish the timber floor. You may, like many of our family and friends, believe that the floors look great as they are based on the photographs I've shared. I'm sorry to say, I've deceived you. I usually took photographs of the house and the end of each stage of work when we had cleaned everything up. This usually involved me mopping the floors so I took photos immediately after...as a result, in some shots we appear to have beautifully polished floors. We didn't.

The floor has an original coat of sealer applied after the kitchen was installed but before most of the house was carpeted. It makes the floors appear finished but if you had seen them in person you'd know there was marks from carpet underlay, plenty of nail holes from the carpet, hundreds of tack holes from the kitchen lino (one every 10cm!), unpolished areas of floor (under the kitchen benches and a random part of the hallway) and lots of scratches and dents on the originally exposed areas of flooring (the dining room and hallway).

So the floor really did need to be redone, it was a 'need' as much as a 'want'. We hired a drum sander (operated by Dad) and an edge sander (operated by SJ) and the floor was stripped back over a weekend. We filled all the holes with a dark wood filler, in the kitchen it was watered down to make a slurry which we swooshed around the whole floor to fill the holes. Some had to be refilled after it dried but it was a much faster method than the traditional scrape and fill we used for the bigger holes. Prior to sanding we also checked over every inch of the floor to punch any wayward nails.

The worst of the floor, showing the widened doorway between kitchen/dining + scratches in the dining floor + tack holes in the kitchen floor

The originally exposed timber floor in the hallway, all the dark black marks are scratches

The unfinished floor in the linen cupboard, the timber lino to the left is over unfinished timber as well
The kitchen with some test runs, the unfinished timber under the old kitchen, drum sander, my Mum and my neice

Living room floor after the first run, all the dark blobs are filled holes 

Dining/Kitchen sanded

Hallway floor sanded (most of the scratches came out)
Bed 2 sanded

Main bed sanded
Bed 3 sanded

Living area sanded

Friday, October 17, 2014

Renovations...Painting the walls

For the walls we chose Dulux (Wash'n'Wear) in Grand Piano Quarter, the ceilings are just Dulux ceiling white. I didn't use any sample pots but went off paint chips and lots of google searches, from everything I had read it was a beige/warm grey that throws green. I first sampled the paint on the kitchen wall (below where cabinets would go) and didn't like it, it looked too lemon for my liking. The paint wasn't stirred properly though and once we actually put the colour on the walls I was very happy with it.

As you'll notice in the photos, depending on the light it definitely throws different tones. Under a brilliant white/blue white the room looks a lot more grey but with a warm light it looks much more beige/yellow. In direct sunlight the rooms look cream, in indirect sunlight they look more like off-white.

All in all I'm happy with the colour, it's a warm neutral that contrasts well with the white (our trim/doors will also be white) but doesn't look too harsh with a black or cool grey. The colour went on over the last weekend of July (26-27th) by which point we'd owned the house for almost 3 months.

Bed 3 in direct sunlight (looks a bit beige)

Bed 3 with indirect natural light (more like the 'real' colour)
Bed 3 again in natural indirect light

Bed 3 again with direct light (slight more grey)

Bed 2 

Bed 2

Main bedroom (throwing more of the green/grey)

Another of the main bedroom
Living area in direct light (looks more yellow)

Living again from a different angle (less yellow) with a pop up appearance from my Mum and neice


Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Renovations...Priming the walls

On the 19th of July we had our first 'day off' from the house. We drove to Toowoomba for a wedding and spent 2 nights in dust free bliss. It was great not to have to think much about the house and to get all dressed up and clean (and paint my nails!).

The Sunday after we were right back into it though, we finished up all the paint prep and cemented the last bits of cornice ready for a week of painting. We then primed Monday and Tuesday with the help of SJ's mum. SJ took Monday and Tuesday off work and I took Tuesday and Friday (to pain the ceilings), it was nice to get a big chunk of work done without having to work super late each night.

The house looked a lot cleaner and brighter with a coat of primer, I loved the fresh paint smell as well.

Phone photos from the wedding, no decent one of us both smiling

The living area, quite literally as that's our bed

Kitchen including paint swatch on the wall

Kitchen

Bed 2

Main bedroom

Bed 3

Toilet/hall



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...